+ Reply to Thread

help: should wireless mode be on by default

I am on Verizon. I met up with a friend who in on Cingular with his Treo. He told me that I would save lots of power if the double arrows above signal strength bar were off all of the time. So he somehow turned this off for me.

I noticed that the phone goes thru battery much faster now. I still get on the internet, get my email, etc.

When I looked this up in the manual, it says if you see the gray arrows, wireless mode is on, but not connected.

If you see the arrows green, you are connected and can't receive calls.

If you don't see the arrows, you are connected to the network. (page 160 in verizon manual). I don't think this picture is correct, i think they mean if you don't see the arrows you are connected to the network, if you see the grey arrows, wireless mode is on but you can recieve calls, and if its green, you can't get calls.

In any of these ways, should the phone have the grey arrows showing as default? I thought that this was the case before I lent my friend the phone to play with.

I cannot see how to change the network setting, when I go to preferences, it says its locked. I think he might have changed it thru my email setup?

Thanks

no arrows means that you are on the voice network only. grey arrows means you are on the voice and data network but not 'active' and you can still get calls.

green arrows means you are on the voice network and data network and you are 'active' with data and you can not get calls. when it is green you are using minutes or bytes depending on your plan.

ohvhost, understood that. question is, 'should my phone show grey arrows when i am doing nothing?' say its just on the desk, i am not talking, i am not doing email , or internet. i thought it used to show grey arrows. after my friend played with it, it shows nothing. if i press the email button or internet button, it connects and shows green arrows like you describe. but when i disconnect, it shows nothing.

if you have an unlimited data plan, any way is fine. if you are paying by minute or kb, then i'd be sure its disconnected and showing no arrows

Go to Prefs - Network - Then Press Disconnect. This will disconnect you from the data network.