+ Reply to Thread

650 and im getting a MAC!!!

anyone have a mac and a 650....im getting the mac mini core duo with 2 gig memory......i know the mac mini has blue tooth and that it reads it.....but how far can i take it.....any other cool programs for the mac.....please do not use this thread to bash mac's, pc's or anything.....thanks

I'm not sure how well it will work. But I recently switched to the Treo 650, from my 6700. And let me tell you I am regretting it. Anyway, the bluetooth connection between my earpiece and my device is horrible. I'm not sure if yours is is a good connection. But as I understand it, I'm not the only one who has to have the device sitting on my shoulder in order to receive a clear signal with no static..

I don't think I answered your question very well. I'm just trying to implement that the bluetooth on this imparticular device is not that great..

drr
    I have only macs and a 650. There are no problems with the bluetooth connection. Very easy to set up and use. I transfer most files this way. Sync with palm desktop is easy. Apparently you will need 'The missing sync' software package if you want to use your own address book, calendar, and mail. I also have used my bluetooth connection to use the phone as a modem for internet connection. Again, very easy to do. There will be no problems.

I also have a mac mini and never had any problems with using the treo 650 with it. my 7135 had problems but thats a whole different story. One thing you should consider is you are getting an intel mac, as much as i hate to recommend this, you can run windows on it using apples boot camp software. This way if you need to use a program for your treo but its only for windows you can restart your mini in windows. Now as far as compatibility with everything in windows on the mac I have no idea, as far as ive heard the only thing that wont work in windows boot is isight cameras on the macbooks and imacs. I would love to test everything and let you know but my mini has an older IBM powerPC chip and i cant run windows, my 650 is not going to be back until later this week, and my macbook is currently "on order" so i dont know when it will actually arrive.

I have a Power Mac G3 (Desktop) with a G4 upgrade card (yeah, it's rather old) running 10.3.9. All the user programs (that exist) work fine. I use Apple's iSync conduit rather than Palm's Contacts, Calendar and Tasks conduits. I can't stand the 650 and Mac both beeping when an appointment comes up, so I have the Calendar part of iSync disabled, which unfortunately means I can't add appointments on the Mac. Boo Apple. The syncing with Apple's Address Book is good, considering the impedance mismatch -- Address Book doesn't support categories, which can be annoying at times. Address Book supports pictures, but not the same pictures as the Treo. Sigh. I run Quicken 2004 on the Mac, and Pocket Quicken on the Treo, and they work well together. Photos are synced to the Pictures folder in my home folder, but there is no integration with iPhoto. Videos are synced to the Movies folder.

I also write Palm applications, and there the situation is worse (although it doesn't sound like this is an issue for you) -- the Simulators run only under Windows, so debugging OS 5 applications can only be done on hardware. Also, something is different in the 650's USB support, so USB-TCP Bridge doesn't work with the 650 -- I have to do all my debugging on a Tungsten T.

If you use a Mac, I recommend Missing Sync:

http://markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php

It's a lot more straightforward that Palm Desktop, it uses Sync Services with Tiger, and also has other cool features... take a look.

I am new to MAC and have a 650. I have very few problems all the way around. I am however having difficulty with the calendar. Some items sync, and some don't. I have yet to figure out why, but it is very frustrating. Overall, I use Isync, and Mac's calendar (I have never liked palm desktop). Anyone have any idea's (these are not recurring events, totally random)????
    If you don't laugh at yourself, someone else will!!