+ Reply to Thread

Do MMS (pics) count towards data usage?

I recently had NationalAccess blocked on my Treo 650. However, doing so has stopped me from sending MMS messages. A Verizon CSR told me this would happen and also said that MMS messages do count towards your data (which seems like double billing to me!) I've confirmed that she was correct about MMS messages not working once NationalAccess is blocked but I'm still uncertain if they really count towards data. (The CSR seemed a little uncertain too.)

I want to be able to send pics using MMS but I want to avoid getting data charges.

So ....
    1. Does anyone know if MMS messages really DO count as data?
    2. If I unblock National Access, any tips on preventing the phone from incurring data charges?

it should be txt/picture messaging (my guess). if you have text/pic messaging turned off, then you won't be able to send.
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

yes they do count towards data. The picture itself is transmitted and kilo is used to download the MMS picutre.
    esmass:p

to me they are double dipping, but verizon does not look at it that way. Which totally sucks, they should put a PS and say when you get charged 10.00 for txt messages and pix messages your just getting with our phone just the txt messages and the pix messages or MMS is actually data. So I pay 44.95 + 10.00 just so I can get and send MMS messages.
    esmass:p

I don't get charged. I have a pay as you go plan for data but pix/txt allowance. I have used 14KB's to check email once. I sent a picture to check your theory. I don't see any data usage, but I did see where my mms message was received.

I checked on VZW.com I It is pretty acurate there, but you know how that goes sometime.

I'm sending another one tonight just to double check.
    so right now I have 14KB's. and sending pix. I'll also wait until the bill gets here to see what happens there.
    Some one call IA. I'm an iPhoneaholic.

I can tell you from first hand experience that MMS/Pics will cost $.25 + Kb usage. I sent one picture just for fun and it cost me $1.25. Verizon gives the lame excuse that PDA phones are charged for data. In my mind, this issue represents both double billing (.25 + Kb), and misleading advertising (they advertise MMS/Pics on their network at $.25 each, and make no mention of phone type). I plan to contact my state Attorney General! Class action, anyone?
    Downhills and tailwinds, 73

I stand corrected I sent another mms message and now my KB usage is at 27kb's. I call shananigans.
    Last edited by gadgetJunkie; 05-26-2006 at 05:25 PM.

I did some more research And found out that in VZW's description of sending and receiving MMS pictures. You are charged 0.25 per message Plus airtime to send the message.

Looking at which is cheaper could be the factor. Using minutes or 0.015 per KB. I guess it depends on how many pictures you send. For me I don't have any night and weekend minutes( I'm on a very old plan with some perks so I don't wnat to change) so I'll take the the data charge.

Sprint's Vision professional plan is $15.00 month and includes unlimited data and unlimited messaging.

sowalsky,

But what if you don't use $15 worth of data & MMS? Still $15??????????????