+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Within the Bonds of Salvation
    Join Date
    07-18-2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    30

    Phone app causing unit to temporarily freeze up ...

    Hello friends -

    Well ... worked through the first few glitches with my "new" 650, but this one doesn't seem to want to fix itself.

    It seems that the phone application is causing the unit to hang. I can be working, entering something into the PDA, and it freezes up for about 20-30 seconds, and then returns to normal again. I had the phone application up during one of these "episodes", and the roaming triangle which normally blinks was not, telling me that the phone was not responding to commands entered through the keyboard or on the touchscreen. If I wait about 20-25 sec. it returns to normal. It happens rather often though, so I'm not sure what I should try.

    I did read a post which said that disabling the network time feature might improve the device's response, so I'll give that a try. Anyone else have some ideas as to what might be causing the problem? The only 3rd party app. I have installed is Ringo.

    Many thanks,
    Michael

  2. #2
    Registered User treojeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-20-2006
    Location
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4
    I as well had difficulty with the phone app "freezing" and causing soft resets when the other party ended the call before I did. The culprit... Ringo. I have since upgraded the version. The version that I am using now is v4.451. I'm sure that searching the formums for ringo might unearth some similar problems with different versions. As for the network time, your phone requires microsecond accuracy, and the time is already sent to it. Enabling network time just keeps your clock automatically set. It also took me a while to get a happy medium between neat programs, and BS resets.

  3. #3
    Within the Bonds of Salvation
    Join Date
    07-18-2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    30
    I had v1.03 of the CDMA software installed on the phone, so I upgraded to v1.04, and all seems to be well now. We'll keep our fingers crossed. Many thanks for the assistance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts