+ Reply to Thread

Treo 650 vs Ipod Video

It's not as off the wall topic I one might suspect.

I have downloaded TCMCP and am using the MP4 plugin on my treo 650. After using my ibook to burn Star Wars EPIII and copy it to my SD card (1GB) using an SD Card Reader, the movie plays simply outstanding.

I showed a few people at work and they were amazed.

I checked out the ipod video just because I wanted to see what we were going up against and, well, although lighter, the battery life on our Treo 650 literally puts to shame the ipod video and creative vision m.

I watched the EPIII movie at least 4 times in 1 day and have over 50% battery life. On the ipod video and creative vision m, the battery life after watching movies is 2-3 hours max.

Biggest advantage? We have our phone, email, web, mp3 music player, fm player, video player all in one device.

I took a few minutes to write this just to get some feedback. It would look silly, I would think, to carry around 2 devices when the treo does exactly what the ipod video and creative can do.

Only drawback at the moment...30GB ipod video vs our mere 1 to 8GB SD card capacity.
    "Apology accepted Captain Needa..." Darth Vader

heh I just watched that movie this morning too. But sorry what is this "fm player" ? I don't have that on my 650

I think the ipod video is over-rated. I don't see a need for 30gb of music and videos. Are you really going to listen to or watch that much in one period? I think the SD cards are plenty (for me).

The fm tuner is fm radio that is not on the ipod video. On the treo, you can get fm stations by using pocket tunes.

I only like the idea of a 30GB hard drive for ripping movies. Once i burned Star Wars EPIII on my SD card, it was a 1GB of space. IT looks great but I want to also keep my music, apps and other videos on it.

I was looking at the 4 GB sd card and might even get that.

Yeah, the treo plays the movies great and unlike the ipod video, we can watch a whole movie without having to worry about the battery going dead in 2 hours.

I was trying to justify getting a mp3 player with the video option but really, the treo 650 makes it impossible to justify because it does all that and so much more.

Maybe a little off topic, but I'd investigate before getting a 4gb card for the treo. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 7135 couldn't go higher than 2 gb because of hardware and don't know if a 650 would have the same limitations or not.

As for 650 vs video ipod, I agree that 650 with sd cards is fine for me. If you really want that much content, you can always pick up a few extra 2gb cards, they are coming down in price seems like, and just swap out cards

Good luck!
    JohnA

I thought I read that a 650 could use a 4gb card if you install the fat32.prc into rom. I only have a 1gb card so can't tell you for sure...but did do the fat32/rom hack

Yes, I wasn't aware of the fat32.prc until you mentioned it. Here's the link to the discussion here and a link within that thread to discussion off this forum:

Biggest SD card for treo 650?

Has it had any corruption problems in using it with your 1 gb card? noticibly faster?

JohnA

I can't say if its really much faster or not since I had only had the 650 for about 2 days before I did that lol but it is working just fine watching movies (TCPMP with videos around 120mb) no skipping, or delays.

Seems my 1GB card has no problems BUT my star wars movie was 600MB!

You must have done some pretty good compression for your movie to be under that.

I think that's a great idea about getting more cards.

600 MB!? It's only a 320 pixel screen.

I have "Office Space" compressed to 230 MB. It looks bad on the PC, but great on the Treo. I'd recommend experimenting with differing compression.

I used handbrake for the mac.

I had the screen size down but the quality of hte pic was pretty high.

i'll set it down again and see how it looks.

just curious, i wonder what it compares to versus the ipod video and creative vision m?

Oh, fyi...i did show a friend the movie and they are trying to get to use the tcmcp..but on the 700w. I offered my condolences.

When they pry it from my cold hand. tivolutionist's Avatar
    I used to use PocketDIVXEncoder to convert video for my 650, but now I use Lathe from the same author. I haven't processed EPIII specifically, but most movies in the 2 hour timeframe end up well under 300mb in size. Usually around 250 or so.