+ Reply to Thread
    Geek

Theft recovery software?

I've been thinking about this for a while. Is there an app that will allow me to send a certain secret text message to my phone if stolen. Upon receiving this message this app will then dial 9-1-1 which will activate the GPS function, and then have it do a conference call to my home phone number while connected so I can talk to the 9-1-1 operator and explain what's going on. The thief can listen in if he wants.

"Hello, my cell phone has been stolen by some dirtbag and it is calling you and me. Can you please give me the coordinates of where it is so I can plug them into my GPS and go GeoCaching for a phone thief?!

This isn't just your average cell phone theft. This thing is a $500 phone (ok, so they're a lot cheaper now, but still ) that also has all my personal information on it and could be a huge potential for identity theft."

I know there are apps that upon receiving a certain text message, will erase all the info on the phone. And some of them will also wipe the SD card. But can other applications, such as the dialer, be accessed by them as well. And can they do conference calling?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Butler has functionality that will erase the phone and SD card data if you send it an SMS message of your choice.

Having a program call 911 in the case you describe is a blatant misuse of that service. 911 is for emergencies, and theft of a phone no matter how much it costs is not an emergency. I have family in emergency services, and they all agree, plus it may prevent people with real emergencies from getting help if it ties up the system.
    Michael

Geek
    I had thought about that. You're probably right. Besides, the police don't seem too interested in recovering stolen cell phones unless they're pressed.

Stolen Sidekick

I hope it never happens, but I would be extremely upset if my 650 ever went missing.

What may be a better question to ask is if code could be written that when a certain SMS is received the phone would not only erase all data, but use the remaining energy in the battery to fry itself into a smoldering hulk of plastic right in the thief's hand? Now THAT would be fun!!