+ Reply to Thread
    ejc

Treo 650...Stereo or Mono?????

Hi all,
    I'm trying to use my Treo 650 as a digital music device, so I bought myself a stereo headset, downloaded pocket tunes loaded up some music....but all I hear is sound coming out of one earbud. When I move the balance "slider" in the PocketTunes application, I still can't hear any sound out of one earbud. I tried a new headset and a new phone...same problem.
    I called Sprint, my service provider, and their tech support told me the problem is that the Palm Treo 650 is Mono, not stereo....is that true? If so, is there some way to set the PocketTunes so that it plays in mono and I could hear music from both earbuds.
    I'm going on a business trip and was really looking forward to listening to some tunes on the plane! Thanks in advance!!!!!

I get great stereo sound on my 650. What type of stereo headphones did you get? did you try the palm ones or use a palm adaptor? these devices are very paticular about what sets work with them to pickl up the stereo.

Good luck!

JohnA

ejc
    ahhh...maybe the headphone is still the problem....what kind do you use?

i just experience same problem, currently i'm using stereo OEM motorola e398 earbuds.but only the right side give me sound... maybe someone can give me some advise great stuff for my treo 650 on ebay thanks

I dont know..Thats why I learn and asking

check out the Palm stereo earbuds on the palm web page. You can also find the same palm ones on ebay and other locations.

also on the palm web page is an adaptor that plugs into the 650 and then you can plug any headphones that would work with an ipod or walkman, etc. you definitely can't use earbuds from any other phones or devices except for the treo 600

Good luck,
    JohnA

Actually, I've been using the Kyocera stereo headphones/handsfree earbuds I had used with the 7135 and it has been working beautifully on my Treo 650. I had bought a few extra, back when I still had my Kyo 7135 and am definitely glad the investment wasn't lost. Not sure how much the Palm OEM ones are but these were pretty much $20 a pair.

Cheers!
    -k

Sometimes...

For about the last 6 months I've been able to listen to music on my 650 with only the Seidio headphone adapter (the cheaper one that only converts the connector from sub-mini to mini). I've used everything from cheap earbuds, a tape-adapter for car audio, and especially my Grado SR-60 headphones. Suddenly last week, it stopped and I have not determined why. So, the short story is the 650 does do stereo but you need the right adapter and hope that nothing mysterious goes on.

It could be a broken head set connector on the Treo. It's a known issue on the Treo 600 and 650 (maybe even the 700 too).

The "Head Cold" software can sometimes help:
    http://headcold.sourceforge.net/

And if your warranty is expired, there are also more involved fixes:
    http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...ix-part-1.html

Thanks; I've seen the treotricks blog before; the damaged connector is what I'm afraid of, although I got mine directly from Verizon, so it should still be under warranty. (I have to wonder, however, if they would consider this a defect covered by the warranty.) I started out with a rigid angle connector (actually from a HP iPAQ headset sold by OfficeDepot), which started popping something awful before I managed to get a flexible Seidio connector; I was afraid I had damaged it then, but everything worked great with the flexible connector until now.

It seems to switch between the speaker and headphones just fine when I plug or unplug the headphones and speakerphone works too. The problem is manifesting itself in a rather strange manner, in fact--PTunes plays at a(mostly) normal volume when the balance is either all left or all right, but when it is in the middle, vocals have a considerable amount of reverb. Now here's the strangest thing, and I suspect if I studied the pages from the Palm Developer Guide on the Treotricks site it might make sense, but if I pull the jack about halfway out I get what seems to be mono--moving the balance to the left produces silence, from middle to the right the expected audio--but it plays through both speakers of my headset. Is that even possible?

I think I need to investigate this more with some carefully selected Jimi Hendrix...

I recently got a Treo 650 and find that with a stereo headset (with Mic) I only get sound from the right channel. With the stereo adapter from Palm, I can plug in stereo headphones (no Mic) and hear both channels. I want to be able to have a "headset" with the Mic. At first I thought it must be the Seidio headset that I was using. Then I dug into the users manual and found that the jack in the Treo uses a different wire for the left channel depending on whether it senses a mic on a particular wire. So now I suspect that there is a problem with that circuitry. I just stopped in at the Sprint store and the guy at the front info booth said that it is a known issue with the 650s. He wasn't sure if the 700 fixed the problem. I decided to research it on the web before I waited to have a technician look at it. That research is what led me here. I can't believe that this is as wide spread as the Sprint guy indicated and hasn't created a huge uproar. Most of what I listen to is talk recorded in Mono but anyone wanting to listen to music certainly wouldn't stand for this.

The headset jack on the Treo 650 utilizes a FOUR-wire connector, not the standard 3-wire stereo jack. If you want to use a stereo headset and a microphone at the same time, you should look at the Sedio headphone adapter. It comes in several varieties, some with the headset/earbuds built in, and some where you can plug in your favorite Walkman-style headset.
    All varieties have a built-in lapel clip-on type microphone. You can answer a phone call without monkeying with wires, and the phone audio, while mono, is really cool when it comes through both earpieces. For music, the sound is high-quality full stereo.
    I am not a salesman for Sedio: In fact, my adapter did not last very long, but while it lasted it was great. I am sure that other companies probably make similar accessories.
    With all of that said, the basic three conductor headset adapter usually works fine with most headsets, giving stereo sound. Have you checked your music ripping software to make sure it is ripping in stereo?
    At any rate, don't let anyone tell you that the Treo 650 is a monaural device. It is absolutely a high quality stereo device.
    Downhills and tailwinds, 73

Well, I finally called Verizon for warrany service and am now holding a replacement handset. Unfortunately, the sound is still not right even with the new handset. In my endeavors to get this to work, I have purchased the entire line of Seidio adapters from Treonauts. Interestingly enough, I was playing with them and discovered that the 2.5mm->3.5mm adapter shipped with impedence-correcting <a href="http://shop.treonauts.com/content/accessories/73-75--410.htm">Audio Out Coupler</a> (you see it pictured there with the coupler; I wasn't actually expecting it in the box) <b>works</b>. In fact, this coupler looks like the same one that Palm is selling. Unfortunately, it suffers even more from the giant-level-that'll-rip-the-port-apart than the HP one I had, because it's longer. *sigh* Why can't this just be <i>easy</i>? I guess I should get in touch with Treonauts and see if there are any known problems with the Seidio connectors; the ones they have pictures of now look slightly different than the one I have.