+ Reply to Thread

Has anyone used the new gmail for mobile APPLICATION?

Hello,

Apparently this should just work on a 650 but it won't for me. Apparently you require Java to have it work. I went to palm and downloaded JVM2 but have no idea how this works... has anyone else got this to work and if you did how did you do it?

Should be as simple as pointing to gmail.com/app and downloading directly to device.

Anyone?
    ST

You have to download two files from JVM2, run them, and the download the gmail ap once you have removed your memory card from the Treo. It is a task but the ap is worth it. I use it to get messages too long fro sms from my secretary. She sends the message to gmail and an sms to tell me to read my gmail.

I found some help on a discussion board for gmail. It told me what files to download but did no mention running them.

Good luck!

Here's the reply from gmail help:
    Can I use the Gmail application on my Treo?
    We don't officially support the Gmail application for Palm Treo devices at this time.

You're welcome to try it out on your own discretion. Your Treo will need a Java Virtual Machine installed - most new Treos come with this pre-installed, and show an IBM Java icon on the main menu.

If you can't find the IBM Java selection, you might be able to install the JVM from the Productivity & Entertainment Software section of your Treo installation CD. Otherwise, please visit http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/.

Once you've installed the JVM, reboot your Treo and:

1. Download the Gmail for mobile application by pointing your browser (not the JVM) to http://gmail.com/app.
    2. When prompted, choose to Save the application (as opposed to selecting Open).
    3. Once you've downloaded the application, you'll see a Gmail icon in your main menu. You can also launch the application from the main menu's IBM Java icon.

In order for the Gmail for mobile application to properly function on your Treo, the IBM JVM requires several configurations. Please review the following configuration settings on your Treo by visiting Preferences > IBM Java VM:

* Check Use Double Buffering.
    * Check Use high resolution coordinates.
    * Don't set anything for HTTP Proxy.
    * Set Memory maximum to at least 4Mb.
    * Set Maximum java thread stack size to 4kb

The Gmail for mobile application has additional configurations through the JVM. From IBM Java VM, please adjust the following:

* Select Gmail -1.0.0. > Menu > Permissions.
    * Select HTTPS, please make sure Once when the application runs (session) is selected.
    * Select HTTP, please make sure Once when the application runs (session) is selected.

updated 11/8/2006

Thanks for your help. Since my email use from my treo is all personal and not critical I find it uses a fraction of the data to just use web mail to view all the subject lines than actually capturing subject lines from versamail.

Currently I use the regular mobile Gmail browser to search old emails on my treo if required. (m.gmail.com) However it won't let me use the aliases I have set up when sending from the mobile browser and find it uses more data than Fastmail to see the inbox. Thus I bounce everything to Fastmail to quickly and for very little data check emails and send the odd one with the alias of my choice.

So I was excited when I saw there was a potentially better gmail option. I managed to get it running. I think I was on the right track but by fluke did a soft reset and it just started running after that. A few observations:

Pros:

It is FAST and visually appealing.

Cons:

- Does use some memory for both the Gmail app and the Java components. I believe it occupied about 3.5 mb on my unit.

- Unsure of data use compared to regular browser version. Searching the net I have seen a little bit of discussion that this java app is using more data than the browser version... thus costing more in data rates.

- No "All Mail" view?? Am I missing something?? even the basic browser version allows me to search "All Mail".

- Still won't allow me to select a different alias before sending email. ie. forces you to be your default alias.

So after taking it for a spin I ended up removing it. The first two cons regarding data and memory I may be able to live with, but the inability to select a different alias is something that the Fastmail browswer allows me to do and the inability to view all mail is something that I can do with the regular gmail browser version.

May be a future update will sway me....

For those who want google mail access and think loading the JVM is just too much, You CAN create an account in Versamail (or any other mail program) to allow you to map to Google Mail. The ports used are a little different than regular, just check the GMail website and read up on how to use gMail with Outlook Express (the same applies for other apps).