+ Reply to Thread

SIM Card - New Device?

I am getting kind of tired of my Treo, and want to upgrade. The problem is, Sprint's phone library is pretty lame. I want to try a Samsung Blackjack or Motorola Q. If the new phone is CDMA, is it possible to just use a different phone not offered by Sprint if you just pop in the old SIM card? I've heard of this being done before, but I want to be certain before I spend any money.

Thanks.

sundevil67

back
    Anybody ever heard of a CDMA phone that uses a SIM card???

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Nope, only GSM phones use SIM cards as far as I know.
    Michael

SIM Card

When I tried to switch to Cingular last year (it was a miserable experience and I had to switch back to Sprint since the coverage was horrible), I used an AT&T phone, and was able to swap the SIM card back and forth between an Audiovox 5600 and a cheaper flip-phone. I obviously don't know a whole lot about the technology behind it - but I guess my question is answered, and I am stuck with this Treo until 9/07 when my Sprint contract is up and I can try a new smartphone - and therefore there is no reason to even look at them now since there will be half a dozen new ones by that time.

1 question though - why do I want a GSM phone over CDMA? Is there any discernable difference?

Anyone know why I wouldn't get notified by email when a reply is posted to my topic? I have that option selected, but I didn't get an email for either of these replies.

Thanks.

sundevil67