+ Reply to Thread

Use Treo as Portable HD

I recently purchased a 1GB SD card for my Treo, and finally have enough capacity to use the Treo as a way to transport files. Is there an easy way to do this in a cross-platform way? I would like to be able to plug it in (or better yet, use Bluetooth) to add/access files on the memory card through a desktop application whether I am on my Mac or Windows machine at work. It would be much more convenient than trying to remember to bring my thumb-drive.

Thanks.

sundevil67

it will be slow for large file. you are better of using the thumbdrive or dedicated card reader

Geek

SD Card as external drive

http://software.treonauts.com/product.asp?id=745

I can't say I've used this program myself, but I remember reading about it somewhere. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for. But as noted by ohvhost, if I remember what I had read about it, you're better off with a reader. Large transfers will be slow. Also no BT, so maybe not exactly what you're looking for.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/02/three_mobile_sd.html
    Last edited by mattb5; 12-23-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Use Treo as Portable HD

Thanks for the replies. I figured it would be slow, but it is kind of just for an emergency situation. I know that I am not always going to have that thumb drive with me, so it would be nice to know I can use the Treo in a pinch. After all, there's no way I am going to be able to fill up 1GB of space with my pictures. I should probably start a new thread, but what do you guys recommend for a utility to convert videos for viewing on the Treo? I am looking for a solution that I can use for my PSP and Video Ipod as well, and I can't seem to find something that can do it all.

Thanks!

sundevil67

Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by sundevil67
    After all, there's no way I am going to be able to fill up 1GB of space with my pictures.
    Man, I just backed my pictures up and almost filled a 4.5GB DVD! hahaha

As for converting videos I like this tutorial. I got The Incredibles down to 250MG on my 500MG card. Looked fantastic!

I've also tried this tutorial for a movie recently. Took a long time - longer than the movie - to reencode it, but the results were pretty good.

Videora is pretty good too. And Super.

If you don't have TCPMP yet, that's a definite must-have app.

Or you could get Neuros Technology MPEG-4 Recorder and forget about converting. I'd love to get one of these things.

I just ordered the Neuros - I've just become frustrated with all of the different kinds of software you need to accomplish all of these video conversions. There doesn't seem to be an all-in-one solution that makes this easy. I have an Ipod, PSP, and Treo that I would like to watch movies on, and it is just too much effort. I'll let you know how it goes!

Nifty SD Card

I use one of these instead of trying to use the Treo as a card reader:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1239)-SDSDPH-1024-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_USB_1GB.aspx

The SD card can be plugged directly into a USB port like a thumb drive - It's pretty slick. No compatibility issues.

A-Data and OCZ make similar cards that are much less expensive at Newegg.com, but they have a cap over the USB plug instead of having a hinged 1 piece design like the SanDisk ones.

Geek

Treo Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by animal4l
    I use one of these instead of trying to use the Treo as a card reader:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1239)-SDSDPH-1024-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_USB_1GB.aspx

The SD card can be plugged directly into a USB port like a thumb drive - It's pretty slick. No compatibility issues.

A-Data and OCZ make similar cards that are much less expensive at Newegg.com, but they have a cap over the USB plug instead of having a hinged 1 piece design like the SanDisk ones.
    I have a couple of 2 GB OCZ cards. I use one in my Treo. It is just a bit harder to get in my phone for some reason, but I am getting used to that. I am a PC tech and like being able to plug the drive in and use some of the utilities I keep on the card. The second one will go for a camera I plan to buy in the near future. I like the OCZ one so far, and the price was right. I happened to find the 2 cards in a package deal for $31 shipped on Ebay.

Hey mattb5 this is awesome, I followed the tutorial for my treo 650 and it works great. The TCPMP program and Fairuse Wizard 2 are outstanding programs. I had been looking for a way to get real movies to my treo. Thanks for sharing.
    Griff Daddy