+ Reply to Thread

External Pictures for a Background

Hi all, I did a forum search and didn't find much, so I hope it isn't too difficult.

I would like to use a picture I have on the SD card for my background in the Calendar, and elsewhere, if its possible. I saw that someone said there is a utility in the desktop software, which I have not installed yet, since the 7135 hotsync software has been fine so far. So without uninstalling the 7135 Desktop & installing the 650 Desktop, can I get external pictures into the phone, and when I do, where can I display them besides the media viewer??

As a sidebar, what improvements are on the 650 desktop that I am missing?

Geek
    You just need to go to the Media program and in the upper right select the SD card. I'm not sure if the picture has to be in a particular directory or not. When you have the picture selected go to the menu and choose Save as Wallpaper.

As far as updates on the desktop software, I think the only difference is the media functions. It saves all your pics and videos that you take with the phone in My Documents/My Pictures/PalmOne/yourname/Internal or card or something like that. And same with video.

Well, apparently, there must be a specific directory required, as I had tried that before, and now I DO have access to pics I moved fromn the phone to the card, but not any already on the card. Guess I will use my card reader & the PC to manipulate the card directories & try again.

As far as the desktop software, it seems the difference then is what I already use the card for anyway, right?

Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by thaxman
    As far as the desktop software, it seems the difference then is what I already use the card for anyway, right?
    Yeah, and it's much faster to use a card reader if you are moving any large files. Although it's nice knowing that when I HotSynch that all the pics I've taken with the phone are backed up to the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mattb5
    You just need to go to the Media program and in the upper right select the SD card. I'm not sure if the picture has to be in a particular directory or not. When you have the picture selected go to the menu and choose Save as Wallpaper.
    that only sets the image in the phone app. instead of showing the number pad all the, it will show the selected image. there is no other place that a background image can be used in a default setup. many third party launchers can put a background image in the palm app itself, but not inside calendar, contacts or anything like that

How about a lead on some of those 3rd party apps, then.....

i like MegaLauncher myself. Lots of folks use zlauncher. Just search 'launcher' here and you will find tons of info