+ Reply to Thread

Uploading Alltel PRL to unlocked CDMA 650: possible?

I bought a 650 from eBay for Alltel. Worked great until I used the palm updater to 1.05. Stopped receiving calls. I called Alltel, they sent me to Palm. Sent my phone in to Palm, they sent back an unlocked CDMA with no PRL. Won't send me anything else. I have been googling like crazy to find this. Alltel sent me an updated PRL file, but no way to upload it. Has anyone delt with this?

Blessings and thanks in advance, Tony

Have you programmed the 650 with your MIN/MDN & SID yet?

<The MIN is the 10digit number the carriers know you as, the MDN is the phone number you give out to people (and they will most likely be the same number if you have NOT ported you number from another carrier) while the SID is the code your local towers broadcast that turns off the roaming indicator.>

If no, visit a store & get it done. If yes, then when you misdial and press send, is the error message you hear coming from Alltel or someone else (the message usually says who is giving you the message near the end, so you have to listen to the whole thing.)
    If it is from Alltel, just dial *228, press send then press 2 when told to & hang up when instructed & you are done - PRL installed.

I do have my MIN/MDN & SIN setup. I can't dial *228 because it doesn't have an original PRL file on it to find the towers to begin with. *228 is for updating, not installing. When I try to dial it, I get "Your phone is out of coverage. Redial?" My phone is not out of coverage though, it just needs an original PRL file to know which towers to use. Thanks for the help though.

Blessings, Tony

Are you saying you read
    Your phone is out of coverage. Redial?
    on the screen, not hearing it though the speaker? If so that is a bit alarming, since in all my experience in the business (which ended around the time of the 650 introduction for use on Verizon) every phone has been able to at least find the strongest signal & lock onto it, even without a PRL. This sounds like it has no service, which is much much more likely related to the phone than Alltel.

But in case I am wrong, the store should still be able to "flash" the phone to Alltel's current specs & if there is not a transceiver problem keeping it from finding a signal, then the flash should get everything working.

Yep. I'm seeing it, but not hearing it. I asked them about flashing it and they said they didn't have the equipment to do it. I even talked to the data center guys. No joy. One of them sent me an email from something he googled about building your own serial cable and a long weird process. I may have to look into that next.....

I have a question Tony,
    can you make a 911 call from your replacement 650? Reaon I ask is not to get you into trouble (I don't know how they treat misuse of the 911 system in your neck of the woods, but here if you say you misdialed or your kid did it by accident or something they usually let it go) but because EVERY phone in the US is required to OVERRIDE the PRL to search for a usable signal in the event of an emergency. If your phone won't even put a 911 call thru, Treo owes you yet ANOTHER phone!! You can tell them the transceiver is bad and it won't even put an emergency call through.