+ Reply to Thread

Treo 700wx vs Moto Q, WM5 PPC vs WM5 Smart

Ok, this is one of two posts, I want to get separate opinions from Q users and 700w users, so hopefully the mods won't delete one of these threads.

Anyway, here goes.

My girlfriend wanted to upgrade from her old, trusty, yet dying Sprint treo600. I told her to go on down to the Sprint store and get herself a 700wx. That it was very much like her phone only better, and that she would be able to install and run some of the cool apps that she's jealous of me running on my phone (xv6700).

The salesman there talked her into a black Moto Q instead, she was easily swayed by it's size and "prettiness" and took comfort in their 30 day return policy.

She will need/use the following on her phone.

Pocket IE
    Pocket Outlook (Calendar, Notes, and contacts synched with Outlook2007)
    Pocket Outlook (Pop email access with her work email)
    Instant Messengers
    Microsoft Office
    Windows Media Player
    Picture/Video Messaging
    Laptop Tethering EVDO (WModem)

She will want/possibly use the following

map2pda
    Windows Live
    Pocket Quicken
    Sudoku
    Pocket Stock Monitor

Aside from the obvious lack of touchscreen, what are the real differences in these two phones and the two versions of the OS? How will those differences affect the functionalities that she intends to use? It was fairly easy for me to buy my phone since I just wanted the most robust evdo phone available with the fewest limitations regardless of it's form factor. But I can understand her desire for something thinner and lighter that may do exactly what she would ask of her Treo and even more.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

the Q doesn't have Word, Excel or PP.
    i just got a 700wx from verizon and i love it.

Well the moto q does not have microsoft office.
    You can not edit any word, spread sheets, or excel files. You can only view them.
    Next, the treo 700wx has more battery life than the Moto Q
    Last and most important, 700wx is more stable than the Moto Q
    I replace out Moto Q's all the time cause they have memory issues and battery life issues. To were the Moto Q will freeze on boot up or just wont power on all together.
    Moto Q's get replaced more than treo 700wx.
    Yes the moto q looks cool, but give it a month and the sleak look will wear off and you find yourself with a smartphone that you will hate.
    WDTS PEON

No one mentioned the Q does not have a touch screen!!! No thanks... not for me.

Wrong, Wrong and Wrong!

The Moto Q has the capability of Office now. There is a new program called documents to go which works perfectly. It allows you to edit spreadsheets. Also if you want to wait, the Motorola Q Pro available soon will have it built in.

The software (available on all the new Q's as well as free on Motorola site) significantly increases battery strength abd stability- I have not had one lock up since I have had this phone and I do 4000- 5000 minutes per month.

You have to be joking if you want to compare call quality and stability of Treo's and Q's...its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by redstar299
    Wrong, Wrong and Wrong!

The Moto Q has the capability of Office now. There is a new program called documents to go which works perfectly. It allows you to edit spreadsheets. Also if you want to wait, the Motorola Q Pro available soon will have it built in.

The software (available on all the new Q's as well as free on Motorola site) significantly increases battery strength abd stability- I have not had one lock up since I have had this phone and I do 4000- 5000 minutes per month.

You have to be joking if you want to compare call quality and stability of Treo's and Q's...its not even close.

You're right it's not even close... in favor of the Treo... The Q is a stripped down version of WM5!!! There is nothing you can say to prove otherwise... out of the box that is what it is. With NO touchscreen! Spare me. (and Documents to go has been on the Palm Treos since the 650... you CAN NOT EDIT documents in excel and powerpoint, only view.)
    Last edited by Bad Ash; 03-05-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Actually, you can edit Office documents on the Q if you spend a bunch of money on DTG. The battery life still sucks, even after the MOL2 update and the lack of a touchscreen renders a lot of programs incompatible with the Q.

I've seen way too many reports of people returning 3, 4 or 5 Q's before they get one that will even charge the battery or not lock-up a few times a day. The return rate on the Q's is through the roof!

LOL, ok Docunments to Go is not new, And what!! Did I hear someone say that the treo700wx is more stable than the Q?? I would rethink that statement. Any real PDAphone user will argue this comment. The Q is way more stable than the treo. For one, answer your callwaiting on the Q, and see if your log says that you missed the call you just answered. Try to ingnore a call on the treo, and see if it works while on a call. I bet the q's bluetooth connection keeps your headset paired constantly. Ohhhh, and here is the new one, have you ever try to call someone from the today screen, and its shows dialing and immediately it hangs up. Hmmm, look at all of these post and goto ppcgeeks.com and then goto treocentral.com, and read all of the post before you go out and switch to a treo. I wish I would have, before I switched from my 6600 to this curse. But hell, I needed evdo and I was refusing to get a 6700. I see 14year olds walking around with them. its a disgrace.

im waitin on the 6800, i hope its like cingulars 8525. Is the whole simultaneous web and voice because of the gsm network or just the phone

Quote Originally Posted by carlosmh
    LOL, ok Docunments to Go is not new, And what!! Did I hear someone say that the treo700wx is more stable than the Q?? I would rethink that statement. Any real PDAphone user will argue this comment. The Q is way more stable than the treo. For one, answer your callwaiting on the Q, and see if your log says that you missed the call you just answered. Try to ingnore a call on the treo, and see if it works while on a call. I bet the q's bluetooth connection keeps your headset paired constantly. Ohhhh, and here is the new one, have you ever try to call someone from the today screen, and its shows dialing and immediately it hangs up. Hmmm, look at all of these post and goto ppcgeeks.com and then goto treocentral.com, and read all of the post before you go out and switch to a treo. I wish I would have, before I switched from my 6600 to this curse. But hell, I needed evdo and I was refusing to get a 6700. I see 14year olds walking around with them. its a disgrace.
    I've never had a single issue that you listed with my phone... guess I'm just lucky... And you think the people at treocentral are going to tell you NOT to get a treo??? Please... Maybe you have a bum phone or have installed 3rd party apps that may have effected it. I'm sure your phone was fine out of the box... If it wasn't then its your fault for not returning it for a new one.