+ Reply to Thread
    Moist

Best way to manage e-mail?

What's the best way to setup my company e-mail to work w/ my Treo? We don't have an exchange server and don't plan on buying one any time soon so I'm basically limited to POP3.

I have been able to check my e-mail with the Treo, but not send anything. The main problem I have now is when my computer is on at work it downloads messages before the Treo even sees them.

Is there a way to syncronize the two mail apps. so that I can receive mail on either at any given time?

Does your computer have it's own email server? Does the server allow forwarding of email? If so, look into PushEffect. It's an app that runs on your Treo. When an email is sent to your email server and forwards the email to your device as a text message. PushEffect intercepts the text message, which acts as a signal to download the message from your POP server. It works well and it's only a 1 time cost of about $20 (USD).

There are other services, that require monthly subscribtion, such as 4SmartPhone.net, which will actually keep your outlook data (contacts, email, etc.) with all your computers.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 03-27-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Moist
    I've read through the archives a bit. The biggest problem is that my work computer is a laptop so sometimes it's on the road with me....so it's not always online at the office.

Which of those works independently and doesn't rely on a desktop for forwarding?

Right now our e-mail is a simple POP3 setup via. our web host. I probably need to just start researching outsourcing to an exchange server.

PushEffect doesn't rely on any computer to download emails to forward it to your Treo, you setup your account on the server to forward emails. That's the nice thing about it, since you receive an immediately as they are sent to you. Unlike some other push mail type programs, like Emoze for Personal use, which relies on your desktop Outlook to download mail.

I'm not familiar with 4Smartphone, but I would assume that you would run some kind of software on your PC that would sync with the data on their servers.

I am a Bell Mobility customer in Canada using a Palm 700WX. I’ve installed the demo of PushEffect and set up the forwarding on my mail server to send a text message to my PDA.

Prior to activating PushEffect I confirmed that the text messages are being received as intended. Once PushEffect is enabled, my text message notifications no longer take place. Rather I am notified that I have x-number of unread e-mail messages. However, the e-mail I sent that should be forwarded as a text message is not in my POP inbox nor is it in my Text Message inbox.

When I disable PushEffect text messaging, POP mail, and all notification return to normal function.

Anthony

I've found a very easy way to check e-mail on my Treo 750. I have forwarded all of my company's e-mail to Gmail, and use the website to check e-mail... There's no more sync problem for me!

Quote Originally Posted by analli
    I am a Bell Mobility customer in Canada using a Palm 700WX. I’ve installed the demo of PushEffect and set up the forwarding on my mail server to send a text message to my PDA.

Prior to activating PushEffect I confirmed that the text messages are being received as intended. Once PushEffect is enabled, my text message notifications no longer take place. Rather I am notified that I have x-number of unread e-mail messages. However, the e-mail I sent that should be forwarded as a text message is not in my POP inbox nor is it in my Text Message inbox.

When I disable PushEffect text messaging, POP mail, and all notification return to normal function.

Anthony
    Have you configured PE to automatically receive emails from the accounts you selected?