+ Reply to Thread

Newbie to the Treo ... what programs should I install first?

Hello everyone, I'm new to the whole treo/smartphone experience ... but not new to the forum ... so I was wondering what programs are a MUST have on my Treo?

I did some research and came across some programs like MemMaid, Magic Button, Resco File Explorer ... these seem like programs that I would need .. like memory manager and a better file explorer than the built-in WM5 version

so my questions are:
    1) are these programs ok? (those of you who have any of these programs ... have you experienced any problems?)
    2) any other recommendations?

Also what is a good registry editor program?

Thanks for any and all help,
    rolau
    Last edited by rolau; 04-08-2007 at 08:34 PM.

I would recommend a backup program. I'm not sure if any other subscriber does it, but Sprint includes Sprite Backup with the phones. Unfortunately, I never bothered to look at the CD and bought the app through Sprite's website. I had previously owned Sprite backup when I on my 4 year old iPaq H5555, so I was eligible for a cheap upgrade.

Resco Explorer is another good program, which blows the file explorer the WM5 comes with.

MemmAid is also another excellent utility. One feature allows you to clear temp, cache, etc. files from your device.

I never used MagicButton, but it appears to be a nice app, which allows you to kill unnecessary running tasks.

I have the Sprite Backup program that came on the CD that was provided with the phone ... so I had installed that already... thanks for your input

has anyone used the program SKTools?

Resco Explorer with Registry Editor is alwasy a good thing to install, Tweaks2k2 for theaking made easy. SKTools is also a good utility. What types of apps are you looking for and did you have a chance to read the sticky at the top of the forum on apps that work.
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.

Thanks for the input ppcmd ... yes I read the sticky ... there are a lot of things there and I don't know where to begin .. hehe

well right now, I'm looking for programs that would help me optimize the Treo's performace ... helping with clearing IE browser cache, closing programs without hold down the OK button (and then selecting the program), manipulate where the Treo places the temp files and where it stores pictures, etc

As far as closing programs, you can use either Valksoft True Tool bar or menu apps, such as SmallMenu. I like SmallMenu, which allows you to add a cascading menu for programs. It also allows you to close programs. Selecting apps or closing apps, can be performed with 1 handed operation. Valksoft True Toolbar is a lower tray app, which display all tasks running. You can select to open them or close them down.

I would suggest you definitely try before you buy and with that comes the at times fun and other times unpleasant experience of hard resets. Testing apps isn't always what you want it to me.

I have used a lot of different apps or Task Managers from Valksoft True Toolbar, Lakeridge softwares Wisbar & Wisbar Lite and also DinarSoft HandySwitcher.

www.valksoft.com
    www.lakeridgesoftware.com/wisbar/index.html
    www.dinarsoft.com
    There are but a few of the apps out there and you can tell from a search in the forums what others have found to work.

SKTools will do a nice job of cleaning up your device but like other utilities but be aware of what you delete. Also check out MemMaid from Dinarsoft it has a nice UI and easy to use. Also check out Tweaks2k2 www.tweaks2k2.com it will do the common WindowsMobile tweaks so yu don't have to and one nice one is putting the Pocket IE cache and history onto the SD card. This can also be done with MEMMaid.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.

Thanks for everything ... I'll do some more research and take your information into consideration before I make any considerations