+ Reply to Thread

Treo 800w is RELEASED, why no forum????

Title says it all, is someone sleeping at the switch? Other sites, like ppcgeeks have very active 800w sections. Why not here?

Agree! Reviews are starting to come in on other sites.

Just bought mine - ready for the forum and all of the awesome info and hacks!

Keep us posted on battery life, which seems to be the most serious complaint on many of the reviews. I wonder if the early reviewers have allowed their batteries to break in.... it takes a few charge/discharge cycles before new L-ion batteries deliver maximum life.

It will also be interesting to know if the battery life registry tweaks that have been posted for WM devices are of any benefit for the 800w.

Aaron T.
    Just picked up mine and am interested in seeing how well the battery increases its charge life after a month or two of use. Overall, I love the features on the phone, as a long-time palm user though, using a windows device is a bit of a challange. WiFi, true GPS, 320x320 made this a very good reason to upgrade from my 700p which died.

Does anyone have an idea of how to tether with the Palm Treo 800w without the Phone as Modem Plan?

Why not just put the PAM on your plan? It's only $15/mo now. And as I've ben told by Sprint CSR's it is now available for the SE Plans as well as the data pro plans.

Actually I'm thinking of going with Sprint come renewal time on the 800w myself and I think I'm going with the $30 data pro pak with $15 tethering option and $29.99 200 mins voice package. Costs less thn what I'm paying for a 450 min vzw plan w/o tethering. And Sprint's plan includes navigation and messaging too. And TV...and radio...and....

I just hope the call quality on the Treo is as good as it is on my Q.

I don't think there is a comparison from the Treo 800w to a Moto Q. Let's just say that you most likely won't go back to the Q.

No need to pay for PAM when I can tether on a $15 plan...I just need the registry tweaks.

heh, well I don't think I *could* go back to the Q anyway if I'm going to be changing carriers to get the 800w. As time goes on it seems less and less likely that VZW will get this phone, despite old "slide deck" sites suggesting otherwise.

But my main concern with call quality was based on reports that HTC-manufactured devices ( and the 800w is a palm-designed HTC re-brand under contract) have had call quality and reliability issues in the past. There are already bluetooth and battery/usb issues that have patches put out on Palm's website. But quirks and first release "birthing issues" aside, it appears to be a great little PPC device overall (actually apart from thickness a bit smaller than my Q) and I've been quite impressed with it from playing with it at the Sprint store. Keys are kindof small and cramped though, a bit harder for me to type on. Too bad it doesn't have WiMax radio in it; not that it would be usable at the moment anyway.

but with open GPS, WiFi, and Rev A along with other Sprint perks at more attractive pricing, it's really making vzw look awfully crippled and stodgy, and I don't travel enough to feel "network reliability" is an issue, with Sprint and VZW being equally strong in my area.

Now AT&T is another story . When I quit them 2 years ago, 3G was supposed to be coming in "6 months". Well, last July it was "this August". Now it's sometime in "late October or end of the year". Yeah, right. And to add insult to injury, they aren't even interested as yet in picking up the Treo Pro. Yikes. What an outfit.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Hi guys... sorry for taking so long to get the forum added... in the process of moving still. I will hopefully be done with that soon if we can sell our house. This looks like a great devices.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I was of the impression that the 800w was nixed on Verizon in favor of the Treo Pro (which is certainly still a possibility) but I just picked up this blurb on Mattew Miller's blog 9/18/08 @ ZDNet: Tech News, Blogs and White Papers for IT Professionals

... Palm is hosting a conference call on the results and will probably talk about the continued success of the Centro and the newly released Treo 800w that should be coming soon to Verizon....
    My brain is so full of S (Entropy, that is), I don't know anything anymore.

Has anyone got the answer to the support code: 80072f17 that appears when I try to sync my new Treo Pro with my desktop. I was pleased with my 750V had no issues with synchronising but now I have a new phone that works but can't get the contacts list across.

Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    I was of the impression that the 800w was nixed on Verizon in favor of the Treo Pro (which is certainly still a possibility) but I just picked up this blurb on Mattew Miller's blog 9/18/08 @ ZDNet: Tech News, Blogs and White Papers for IT Professionals

... Palm is hosting a conference call on the results and will probably talk about the continued success of the Centro and the newly released Treo 800w that should be coming soon to Verizon....
    I read somewhere that they were looking at possibly the 12th of October. However, none of the reps can confirm that yet. Has anyone here heard anything different.

A CSR at a Verizon Kiosk told me last Sunday that some new phones are coming in October but I couldn't get any specifics out of him, but I've seen stuff floating around on the Blackberry Thunder but so far that's about it. Nothing positive definite on the Treo 800w or the CDMA Treo Pro as of yet.
    My brain is so full of S (Entropy, that is), I don't know anything anymore.