+ Reply to Thread

Thread: security

Post security

is the ppc6700 need a firewall or viruses scan. how secure are they straight from the store

Administrator
    there is not a real threat to the PPC or windows OS world just yet. there have been virii developed to exploit symbian based devices but not much has surfaced for the windows mobile OS world. there are some products on the market for the PPC/WM OS market but you dont need it at this point.
    but ouf of the box, the phone does not have any major 3rd party security apps.

Angry Is There Any Virus Scan Or Firewall??

IS THERE ANY FIREWALL OR VIRUS SCAN??????

Quote Originally Posted by skinzzz
    IS THERE ANY FIREWALL OR VIRUS SCAN??????
    Look here. I've used a free version of this in the past, but don't use anything on my PPC right now
    GeekyGuy
    "The Daytona 500 is ours! We won it, we won it, we won it!", Dale Earnhardt, February 15th, 1998, Daytona 500

There aren't any PPC virii in the wild - and virus scanners just scan for known virii - so the scanners aren't really scanning for anything. Don't worry - as soon as somebody figures out a way to infect these phones we'll all know about it. In the meantime, don't worry about it. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Not Quite

Quote Originally Posted by sheureka
    There aren't any PPC virii in the wild - and virus scanners just scan for known virii - so the scanners aren't really scanning for anything

That's a common miscconception, most virus scanners do look for known virus signatures, but they also use heuristics, that is they look for virus like activity, such as bindin a shell to a port, or dropping to root/admin privliges if possible. things of that nature, so there is some small advantage to using one. That being said I dont plan on using one when I get my 6700.

Is there anything that can run in the background which would act as a TCPip logger.... where you can at least get some info on who, what, where, when...

then too, it may also be nice to be able to close/open ports.....

thanks
    qu1nn
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)

- This thread is about 18 months old - and there still haven't been any virii reported in the wild, so I still don't think there's anything to worry about! - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Not necessarily worried about virii
    more worried about more paranoid things....
    I wanna know about what is being requested and by whom, what info is going out and what is coming in...
    Firewalls help out when hooked into a network, the device I have as a wifi connection...
    see what I am getting at?

qu1nn
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)